Chia seeds are so versatile. I love making just a simple pudding but every now and then it’s nice to mix it up and a warm breakfast is extra scrumptious on a cold winter’s morning. Best part is cooking the seeds in hot liquid is also a great time hack to get those chia seeds plumped up and full of their fibrous goodness in literally 5 minutes. You can use almond or coconut milk, top with your favourite fruit or berries, and easily keep it high fat and ketogenic by keeping the nut butter high and the sweet fruits low. I like to mix it up!
Here’s a recipe I made with a pear that was on it’s way out. I simply gave it a peel and took off a few bruises. I forgot how delicious poached fruit can be. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did.
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 drops vanilla stevia
- 1 whole pear peeled
- 3 x whole star anise
- 1 tbs ghee
- 2 tbs nut butter (I used almond, brazil, cashew plus macadamia blend)
- 1/2 tsp mesquite powder
- Pinch of murray river salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp bee pollen to decorate
- Extra almond milk to serve (optional)
- First poach your pear by placing whole peeled pear in boiling water with 3 star anise.
- Keep simmering for 10-15 while you prepare the rest of the elements.
- To make chia porridge, place almond milk, stevia and vanilla over low-med heat, then stir in chia seeds.
- Stir regularly and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add a touch more almond milk if it gets too thick.
- Once thickened and seeds are almost soft, remove from heat. Set aside.
- Now make your mesquite caramel. Add ghee and nut butter to a saucepan over low heat.
- Melt together gently, stirring in your cinnamon and mesquite and salt.
- The sauce only needs a minute or two to melt together, once bubbles first appear remove from heat.
Assemble your two dishes with chia porridge first, then drizzle a little of your sauce, stack your pear slices, then top with more sauce a sprinkle of bee pollen if you have it.
Serve with extra almond milk if you like your porridge more milky (I do). Best part is you will literally enjoy stable energy for hours.