Crunchy, grain-free, low carb and nutrient dense, this toasted paleo muesli is sure to become a breakfast favourite. It’s everything muesli should be…but better! Did you know cutting back on grains is good for your mental health? Flours and starchy ‘grain’ ingredients can spike your blood sugar, contribute to inflammation and cause imbalances that impact our mood and more.
- 1/2 Cup macadamias or hazelnuts
- 1/2 Cup almonds
- 1/4 Cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 Cup pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 Cup ground golden flax meal (optional)
- 1/4 Cup ground golden flax seed or chia seeds
- 1/2 Cup shredded or flaked coconut
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs butter, ghee or coconut oil melted
- 1 tbs maple syrup (optional)
- Pinch of Salt Flakes (or use your own favourite salt)
1. Chop or blend your dry ingredients. It’s ok to leave everything pretty chunky but it also works even if you grind them down a fair bit. Feel free to follow your preference.
And not to worry about fancy kitchen tools. Even you don’t have a Vitamix or KitchenAid you can also just place the nuts in a ziplop bag, seal it well, then use a meat tenderiser or heavy kitchen tool to break it all up. Smash away! It’s like therapy right.
2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl so nuts and seeds are well coated with oil.
3. Now you have two options:
OPTION A. Spread mixture on a cookie sheet and bake the muesli at 325-350 for 20 or so minutes, until golden and toasted. Depending on your oven, you may need to turn the mixture part way.
OPTION B. You can also place ingredients a large frying pan on low heat. Heat the whole mixture gently, stirring often so that no part gets overly cooked.
This takes only about 5-8 minutes, but you need to watch it the whole way through. Add more butter/coconut oil if needed to keep it all nice and moist. The fats add flavour in place of other recipes that call for too much sweetener.
4. Once you’ve got the mixture evenly toasted let it cool down completely before storing. I’ve kept mine for up to 2 months.
Serve with coconut yogurt and fresh fruit.
This recipe is from my Mind Body Reset 30 Day Program. Learn more about the program here
Yours in health,