This is a celebration cake. Because there are birthdays. We don’t need to live in a food restriction no fun bubble. What’s important though is that we learn to indulge without throwing it all away. Desserts can be totally indulgent and still nutritious made with real food ingredients like almond meal, blueberries, butter and eggs. It’s what we put in it, and what we avoid that really makes the difference.
- ¾ Cup almond butter
- ½ Cup butter
- ½ Cup Maple syrup
- 1/2 Cup Lakanto
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tbs raw cacao powder
- 1 tbs + 1 tsp arrowroot flour
- 2 tbs almond milk or other milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1.5 cups blueberries
- 50 grams dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Lightly grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter and fit a circular piece of baking paper at the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the blueberries and 1/4 cup of maple syrup in a small saucepan set over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, until the berries are soften but still intact. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in another small saucepan, melt the butter, remaining ¼ cup maple syrup, and ½ cup coconut sugar until the sugars are dissolved, about 10 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the 4 eggs, almond butter, coconut flour, 1 tbs arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, ginger, lemon zest and juice, almond milk, vanilla extract, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cardamom to a blender or food processor. Blend for 30 seconds on high until fully combined and smooth. The batter is meant to be quite thick and gooey.
- Add the melted butter mixture and blend again for 30 seconds.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cooled blueberry compote and chocolate chunks all around the pan, then swirl with a knife until gently incorporated. It’s ok if the top is a bit bumpy, this creates a layered texture to the topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour before serving. Store leftovers tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.
- Serve with additional blueberry compote and whipped coconut cream or double cream.
Lots of love,