Dredged in egg and almond meal then pan fried in extra virgin olive oil, smothered in garlicky passata and parmesan, stacked on roasted cauli then baked. This recipe is all about high quality ingredients and simple, clean cooking techniques that anyone can master. Get your cauliflower out! It’s time to make a new kinda parma that won’t upset your tummy, and will still be every kind of satisfying.
There are four key parts to make then assemble: sauce, crumbed chicken, roasted cauli and of course parmesan cheese topping.
Total time required: Approximately 1 hour
- 1 cup passata, or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- splash of red wine (optional)
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 free-range chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tbs arrowroot powder
- 2 tbs oregano powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup rocket
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan (or equivalent cashew cheese substitute)
- Ground pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180.
- Slice cauliflower into 1/2 inch slices (like cutting a loaf of bread). Don’t worry about the little bits that fall off. Those can all go in the pan.
- Spread out across a baking tray then drizzle with a good dose of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes until slightly tender and a golden. Remove from oven and set aside. This will go back in and heat with the chicken in the final step.
- Pour 1/4 cup evoo into cold saucepan then turn on heat. Add your passata, crushed garlic and salt plus wine. Simmer on med-low for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add rocket at the end and allow to wilt into the last bit of heat.
- While the sauce is simmering take out 3 shallow bowls and some baking paper. Place almond meal, oregano and salt flakes to taste in one bowl. Whisk egg in second bowl, and place arrowroot powder in third.
- On a sturdy surface place chicken breast on baking paper then fold it over the top. Using a meat tenderizer flatten the chicken to about 2 inches thickness.
- Have a plate or board ready then start crumbing.
- Dip first in arrowroot, coating both sides and dusting off anything extra.
- Second dip in the egg. Simply place one side down flat then flip.
- Third dip into the almond meal crumb. Be careful not to get eggy finger all over the crumbs so make sure you have a towel on hand to wipe off with.
- Pour shallow layer of evoo into a frying pan then heat over medium. Once hot place chicken in pan and cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side until crispy and golden. The chicken doesn’t have to be fully cooked through as it will cook more in oven.
- Place both breasts on top of the cauliflower and then carefully spoon the sauce on top.
- Last add the grated parmesan and pop into the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with fresh rocket.
Your body will love the good hit of healthy fats, protein and micro-minerals plus there’s nothing added that will leave you feeling blah later. Isn’t that the secret loves!! Choosing the right ingredients is the key to real comfort, after all we want long term happiness from our food. Comfort that fuels healthy hormones, happy tummies and feeling good beyond a delicious plate of food.